|Love is in the air in February. So, to stay on theme, we dive into the five things we love most this month (and share some “must knows” in preparation for National Nutrition Month, which is right around the corner)…
- Nutrition Education Materials. We especially love sharing Lactose Intolerance resources throughout the month of February – Lactose Intolerance Awareness Month. Do you think you might be lactose intolerant, or do you have clients or friends who report struggling with lactose malabsorption? Here are five things you should know if you think you are lactose intolerant. Visit WesternDairyAssociation.organd EatConfidentlyWithLI.org for research, educational handouts, tips, LI-friendly recipes and more.
- Farm to Table Facts. Did you know that whole milk is only 3.5 percent fat? Ever wonder how milk becomes fat-free or what ultra-filtered really means? Read more about understanding types of cow’s milk in this month’s Science Behind Dairy blog at DairyGood.com.
- Fueling Greatness with Breakfast. The Food Research and Action Center (FRAC) released their School Breakfast report this month, concluding that the National School Breakfast Program has seen a healthy gain in participation this school year, with 320,000 more students eating breakfast compared to the previous school year. Breakfast provides the fuel kids need to succeed all day in the classroom and beyond, but only about half of students nationwide that participate in school lunch participate in school breakfast. Which is why we are excited that the dairy farmer-funded Fuel Up to Play 60 program is launching its Fuel Greatness campaign on March 2nd. Visit FuelUpToPlay60.com to learn how school breakfast can change lives and find out how to help make breakfast available to all students. Or join the conversation about Fueling Greatness on social media, using #FuelGreatness on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- National Nutrition Month. March is a great time to celebrate National Nutrition Month. In a quiet time between the buzz of summer fresh eating and January’s diet resolution season, the daily reminders about balanced nutrition can be helpful during the month of March. This year, the theme, Bite into a Healthy Lifestyle, is more easily done with a heap of nutritious recipes. Visit National Dairy Council for recipes including healthy pizzaor Toasted Granola Cups with Yogurt and Fruit.
- School Lunch. Interested in current school lunch trends? Food Research and Action Center (FRAC) has released their 2015 report on theNational School Lunch Program: Trends and Factors Affecting Student Participation. The report addresses the average daily participation in the National School Lunch Program over the past 10 years and provides recommendations for increasing student participation in the program.