Today’s throwback recipe was developed by WDA back when we were the Western Dairyfarmers’ Promotion Association, sometime in the 1980’s.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh peaches (pitted, peeled and mashed. If out of season, frozen unsweetened peaches may be used.)
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- Combine gelatin, sugar and buttermilk in a 2-quart heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg. Return all to saucepan.
- Cook over low heat 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in cream, vanilla and salt.
- Combine mashed peaches and 3 tbsp. sugar; stir into cooked mixture; chill.
- After freezing, transfer ice cream to a plastic freezer container. Ripen in freezer at least 3 hours.