Heirloom Caprese Mac & Cheese
- 1/2 pound uncooked pasta
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large heirloom tomato
- 1 cup fresh Mozzarella cheese (small cubes)
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- Aged balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare dry pasta according to package directions. Once cooked, keep warm.
- Melt butter in a medium pan. Add flour and cook on low for 5 minutes. Wisk in half and half thoroughly. Simmer for 5 minutes. Wisk in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and simmer for an additional minute.
- Slice tomato into 4 nice slices. Dice the remaining tomato.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked pasta, cheese sauce, fresh Mozzarella, chopped basil, and diced tomato. Place mixture in a greased baking dish. Top with tomato slices and an additional sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Finish with chopped basil, and a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar.
Recipe by Chef Joshua Kelly, from Bonny and Read Fresh Seafood and Fine Steaks in Colorado Springs, CO.