Cheddar Broccoli Millet Bake
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4-6 servings
- 5 cups broccoli, washed and cut into small florets
- 1 cup millet
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese + some to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare 1 cup of millet according to package directions, using chicken broth as the fluid (takes about 20 minutes to cook).
- To blanch the broccoli florets, prepare an ice-water bath by filling a large mixing bowl with ice and water. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until bright green and slightly tender. Remove broccoli with a slotted spoon and place immediate in the ice-water bath.
- Once the broccoli is done and while the millet cooks, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the diced onion and sauté until soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 1 minute more. Reduce heat to low. Add the milk, thyme, salt and pepper and slowly bring to a simmer.
- When the millet and sauce are finished, mix together millet, broccoli, sauce and 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese in a mixing bowl until just combined. Pour into your prepared casserole dish and sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes, until warmed through and cheese on top is melted.